Saturday, September 12, 2009

This is for reals...

This is Leah.
IMG_1746
This is me.
IMG_3887
This is the book I wrote for Leah.
IMG_4789 IMG_4790

Two years ago my cousin Leah graduated from high school, and was getting ready to head off to college in Utah. We spent a week together that summer. During that week I took every opportunity to impart my wisdom regarding roommates, classes, finances, boys etc...Leah decided that it was way too much to remember so she asked me to write it all down. I really did have a lot to say, mainly because I remembered how I was when I was her age. I thought I knew everything I needed to know to be on my own, but in reality I knew very little. I found myself being totally unprepared for what living on my own required. Even though I had a loving mom who offered her two cents, I didn't want to hear it from her.

With that in mind I decided to write Leah a letter. One Saturday I locked myself in my room for a couple of hours and prayerfully composed a letter. It didn't take long to realize that I had more than a letter. I had a book! It took a few more weeks to complete and then I typed it up, printed it off and gave it to her. As that year went by I watched Leah have different experiences that made me want to add to the book. The more I wrote, the more I realized that I had something that had the potential of helping many girls, not just Leah. So I spent the next year tweaking it here and there until I decided it was done. And now....it is done.

I'm still finding this all so strange. I never thought of myself as a writer. I never in a million years thought that I would publish a book, but here I am with a book and a blog about my book. It has been quite the journey, in fact I'm still trying to navigate my way. I have moments where I doubt myself and feel completely out of my comfort zone. In those moments of insecurity I want to just crawl back into my shell and forget about all this publishing business. But it is in those moments that I feel the spirit pushing me on. And so here I am taking it to the next level.

I created this blog to give me the chance to tell the whole story behind the book. Not just the writing of it, but my life experience that inspired each and every page. I want this blog to be a place where people can leave comments and ask questions. I am really excited to talk to people who have actually read my book. I'm also looking forward to being able to talk to people who just want to know more about it. I want to hear from all of you! So here I am. Here is my book. Now talk to me!

*It's important to note that although the title indicates it is an "LDS girl's guide", this book would be helpful to any Christian girl.

13 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Do you prefer for us to order from blurb or give you our contact information?

mp_marshman@yahoo.com

Jenny Erazo said...

I would love to have a copy of your book.
erazoje@hotmail.com

the wrath of khandrea said...

you go girl. looking forward to reading it. is there a cliffs notes version though? i'm pressed for time lately.

Lindsey said...

You are a rockstar! :)

calibosmom said...

Seriously impressed! Way to go!

karenchronicals said...

I love this book, it is a Must Read Must Have Book.It is also a quick read 56 pages of honest heartfelt advice gathered from Jessica's personal life experiences. Even though, this book is directed to the LDS community , Jessica's advice is for all to benefit , with its survival tips on roommates, leaving home and boys and healthy food tips this book is a perfect present for all to enjoy! A great stocking stuffer.
Karen Pagliaro
Owner KarenDoesMyHair

Kara said...

I totally want a copy. I would love to have your advice written down. I always love talking with you. You are an inspiration to me. cokapreston@yahoo.com

Katie said...

I absolutely loved the book! I didn't even know Jessica but she was sweet enough to give me a copy of her book when I randomly met her in Salt Lake when she knew the guy I was with. I thought the book was so well written, and was such a quick read because it honestly felt like you were just getting some heartfelt advice from a relative or friend. I've been down at school at BYU for the last two years and wished I would have read this book right after graduating from high school, I thought there were a lot of helpful things in it! Anyway sorry for the novel of a comment, but I thought it was great, so thanks!!!

Tara McLaughlin-Team Manager said...

Hi friend!

Saw you at the baby shower on Saturday and didnt get a chance to say hello! Then I stumbled onto your blog and had no idea you had written a book!!! WOW! I am so excited for you and will be on my way to buy one this week, I cant wait:) BTW-Your short hair is super cute (thats how long it has been since I have seen you!!!) Lets get together soon!
Tara

Dave and Gretchen said...

Wow Jess! I'm so excited for you. I never knew you in your early college years, so this will be fun to read. ;) I must get my hands on it. Love you!!!

Mirien said...

Is Leah from Bismarck, ND? We lived there 7 years ago and she used to babysit for us--if it's the same Leah, that is. Tell her hello from the Churches!

Tanya Smith said...

I still want to get one of these for my sister. Do you have copies at home I can buy from you?

turkeycove said...

Just FYI the ISBN number on the inside of the book doesn't match the one on the back of the book so I had a hard time finding it on Shelfari. Inside it ends with a 3 and on the back it ends with a 9. Thanks for the book I enjoyed and hope that all my girls will read it.